Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Best Coffee in Malaysia, my hometown Kluang






When in Kluang forget about cappucino, mocha, expresso or any other type of coffee. My favourite hang out place, Kluang Rail Coffee's specialty is its brewed homemade coffee. During my childhood days, I was raised in the neighbourhood at Jalan Omar. It is one place where a discerning coffee drinker could taste real coffee. Its reputation for the best coffee has kept the premise which was located at Kluang Railway Station canteen, muscle up since it opened its doors in 1938. The brown and cream colour timber structure is a reminiscence of colonial architecture which blends with the railway station of 90 years. Looking at the long queue and crowds of patrons sipping their hot coffee while reading their papers, it is obvious that business has not slowed down.

Tastefully decorated with nostalgic pictures, magazines and paper clippings on the wall, the coffeeshop is a place for a cuppa. It can accomodate more than 100 people but back by fast service. I love to savour its toasted or steamed bun with homemade thick and rich kaya.... The toast is crispy on the outside and soft inside with slabs of butter. Another favourite is the nasi lemak (rice cook in coconut milk) with lovely sambal (chilli with shrimp paste) wrapped in banana leaves, mee siam (rice vermicilli), currypuff and ever wonder... even the half boiled eggs taste superb. The aroma of ground coffee is so strong that it hits you when a cup is placed in front of you. Besides the shop also sell ready made coffee, grounded coffee beans in packets at RM8 per pack and kaya at RM3.50 per container.

If you are lucky, you could see express trains stop by while savouring your cuppa. Some passangers took the opportunity on the 2 minutes stop to order take-away coffee. Born and raised in an area where train halt, I have always been fascinated with the romance of chucking locomotives and shunting coaches. They were music to my ears which I don't get to hear any longer these days.

Customers who walk into Kluang Rail Coffee always leave the cafe with satisfied look on their faces. Many regular patrons drop by before they start the day to jumpstart their days.....The special taste and aroma just wakes you up. Some people would just travel many kilometers to satisfy their cravings. When there was not much option then, my cousin did travel from Kuala Lumpur to have a cuppa. Amazing!!! There have been many attractive branches and other coffee outlets but to my family, friends and me, there is nothing like Kluang Rail Coffee which is located at the railway station. Even the other new Kluang Rail Coffee could't beat it. They have other branches at One Utama, Ikano, Tesco, Ampang, Tesco Malacca, Taman Istana in Ipoh, Kotaraya, Johor Bahru and latest in the club is Jalan Manggis, Kluang.

2 comments:

Hanafi Mohd Noor said...

I have fond memories in Kluang, my first gym that I join was in Kluang, I love the public pool where they have sauna and steam room. Wonder my friends still there.

louisebah said...

yummy! I came upon your blog by chance, looking for out of town places that serve good coffee... I've put Kluang down on my list of places to have coffee! :) Thanks for sharing!